Ground penetrating radar (GPR) survey at the Nabataeo-Roman site of Wadi Ramm in Jordan
Case Studies in archaeological geophysics
The following case studies were selected from among hundreds of surveys performed by Archaeo-Physics staff members. Examples were selected to illustrate geophysical applications in a variety of contexts and issues in methodology and interpretation.
Fort Juelson : A Black Hills war era defensive earthwork in Tordenskjold Township, Minnesota. A non-invasive investigation has defined the boundaries of the fort and identified several previously undocumented prehistoric burial mounds (Phase I = LiDAR and GIS integration. Phase II = magnetic, resistance, GPR).
- Calvary Cemetery: Three-dimensional subsurface imaging of a large 19th century tomb at a historic cemetery (GPR).
- Gladstone Shops: Ground pentrating radar survey of a 19th century railroad roundhouse and associated shops (GPR).
- Petaga Point : High-resolution survey of a Mdewaketon Dakota house feature dating to the late 17th - early 18th centuries (GPR, magnetic, resistance).
- The Kutoyis Bison Kill: A late prehistoric/ancestral Blackfoot buffalo jump and processing camp in northern Montana (magnetic).
- The Cambria Site : Large-area geophysical reconnaissance of a 19th century company coal mining town located in SE Kansas (magnetic, resistance).
- The Eastep site: investigating prehistoric burned rock features in southeast Kansas (magnetic; resistance; GIS integration)
- Mission San Antonio de Padua: a Colonial Spanish mission located in Monterey County, California. (GPR; magnetic; resistance)
- Pine Tree Mound Site: a Caddoan archaeological site in NE Texas. (magnetic; resistance; GPR; excavation results)
- The Buried City: a Plains Village period site in NW Texas. (magnetic; resistance, GPR, excavation results; radiocarbon dates; soil magnetic mineral analysis)
- Mehaffey Site: a late Archaic Period site in western Iowa. (magnetic; excavation results; soil magnetic mineral analysis)
- Historic Scots-Highlander Farmsteads: historic 19th century farmsteads and possible mid-18th century structures in North Carolina. (resistance; magnetic; soil magnetic mineral analysis)
- Mahram Bilqis: an ancient Sabaean temple located near Marib, in the Republic of Yemen (GPR; magnetic)
- Kanas Monument Site: historic Native American earth lodges in Kansas. Results will be used to guide excavations during the 2008 Kansas Archaeological Training Program field school (resistance; magnetic)
- TAS Field Program 2008: geophysical results from three Middle Ceramic period settlements in NW Texas. Results will be used to guide excavations during the 2008 TAS field program (magnetic; resistance; EM conductivity)
- San Buenaventura Mission: Spanish colonial mission and Victorian features beneath a modern parking lot in Ventura, California. Features animated imaging of 3D radar tomography (GPR)
- Sharps Creek Council Circle: earthworks and other features at a proto-historic site in Kansas (magnetic)
- Songbird Rings: stone (tipi) ring and hearth features at a prehistoric site on the High Plains (magnetic)
- The Wyandotte County Cemetery: mapping unmarked graves at an historic cemetery in Kansas City, Kansas (magnetic; resistance)
- Silver Bluf: an 18th century trading post and fort, South Carolina (GPR; magnetic; resistance)
- Aphrodisias: a Greek/Roman urban center, Turkey (resistance)
- San Marcos Pueblo historic mission, New Mexico (magnetic; resistance)
- Garden Coulee: a 19th century Hidatsa village, North Dakota (magnetic; resistance)
- The Huckins Site prehistoric campsite, Wyoming (magnetic; resistance)
- Location of Human Burials (GPR; magnetic; resistance)
- Sample Density and Resolution Illustrated: two case studies
- Falling Creek Ironworks: an early 17th century industrial site, Chesterfield County, Virginia (GPR; magnetic; resistance)
- Malodorous prehistoric campsite, Montana (magnetic)
- Magnetic "Pollution" of Archaeological sites (magnetic)
- Ellis Cemetery: an historic Euro-American cemetery, North Carolina (GPR)
- Krasnyi-Yar: Copper Age Botai Culture settlement, Kazakhstan (magnetic; resistance)
- 30-30 Winchester prehistoric campsite, Wyoming (magnetic)
- Tell Ahmar (Til Barsib) Syria (magnetic; resistance)
- Fort Phil Kearny historic military site, Wyoming (magnetic)
- Hidatsa Earth Lodges North Dakota (resistance)
- Odessa-Yates late prehistoric village, Oklahoma (GPR; magnetic; resistance)
- Kerkenes Dag Iron Age site, Turkey (magnetic)
- Army City historic military site at Fort Riley, Kansas (resistance)
- Chaves-Hummingbird Ruin Ancestral Pueblo site, New Mexico (magnetic; resistance)
- Fort Laramie historic military site, Wyoming (resistance)
- Shields Complex Ancestral Pueblo site, Crow Canyon Archaeological Center, Colorado (resistance)
- Prehistoric Houses at CA-ORA-116, California (magnetic; resistance)
- Central Park 19th century brewery, Grand Forks, North Dakota (resistance)
Recent Publications by Archaeo-Physics staff